Prague Area Studies | Faculty | University

1. Is your degree a “regular” Charles University M.A. degree? Has the programme been accredited?

Yes, all the Master’s Degree programmes offered by the Institute of International Studies, Charles University are accredited by the Czech Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports.

2. When will the next chance for participating in the programme be?

The Master’s Degree programmes start every year in October. Check our website for calls for applications and deadlines.

3. Can I visit the Institute of International Studies? When is the institute open to the public?

The Institute of International Studies organizes an “open-door-day” every year in mid-January. An individual visit is possible as well, upon arrangement with the PRAREAS academic coordinator or the academic coordinators of the specific programme of interest. Please, contact us on prareas@fsv.cuni.cz

4. Do I need to speak Czech to attend your programme?

No prior knowledge of Czech is necessary to attend our MA programmes. See admission requirements of the specific programme of interest.

5. Is there an age limit for applicants?

We don’t have any age limit.

6. Will I be helped in visa matters?

We are ready to help should any problem arise. Information about residence permits and visas is available here.

7. When do I have to pay the tuition fee?

You will receive payment details at the time of registration for the programme, after your arrival. For further information please see here.

8. Are programme costs tax deductable?

This possibility depends upon the tax laws in your home country. In the Czech Republic, tuition can be claimed as a deduction on your Czech tax declaration.

9. Does the tuition cover room and board? What are the average living costs in Prague?

The tuition does not cover room or board. For more information about housing, please refer to “Studying at FSV UK - Housing and Catering”. Charles University has a number of student cafeterias and restaurants at different University locations. Student prices are guaranteed with a Charles University ISIC card, which now may also be used to pay for meals (approx. Kč 50/meal). The exact cost of your stay in Prague is largely up to you. The cost of living in the Czech Republic is on average comparable to that of other Central and East European countries. A single student is advised to have available approximately Kč 8.500 (cca 330 euro) per month to cover food, basic transport and accommodation.

10. Can I receive credit for any kind of earlier studies in the same field?

Yes, credit recognition of coursework you may have already taken will be possible. Credit recognition is only possible with the agreement of the Head of the relevant programme.

11. Will I have an opportunity to spend a period of time studying abroad?

Almost everyone in our English-language programmes has the same rights and opportunities as students in our Czech-language programmes, including the possibility of applying to the Erasmus Programme. However, because student status is conditioned onpayment of school fees and/or receipt of various scholarships, some special conditions apply. For further information, please contact the International Office.

12. When does the term start? What are the term dates for the next academic year?

The academic year at the Charles University runs from October to June. One academic year is divided into two semesters – winter and summer (each includes 15 weeks of instruction and five-week examination period).

Winter semester: First Monday in October (unless the first Monday is 30 September) to the second Friday in January; Examination period: Third Monday in January to third Friday in February 
Summer semester: Third Monday in February to third  Friday in May; Examination period: fourth Monday in May to the end of June 
Please note that dates may vary according to the year and/or the individual faculty rules. Organization of the actual academic year can befound here.

13. Can I work while I’m studying at the Charles University?

International students (visa holders) can be employed, but must have a job permit. A job permit is not required only if the student (max. 26 years old) works no more than 7 consecutive calendar days or 30 days a year in total. For more information go to www.mpsv.cz/en or http://portal.mpsv.cz/sz/zahr_zam.